Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Master merge and rename

2004-12-27 16:39:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Master merge and rename
From: Blayne Puklich <blayne AT puklich DOT com> (Blayne Puklich)
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:39:42 -0600
I have a client that currently has two Solaris 9 NetBackup 4.5 master
servers that each have a couple of Solaris media servers.  They need to
upgrade to 5.x on new Sun hardware as well as combine the two master
servers into one.  To make this even more fun they also need to have a
different name for the new master server.

What's the best scenario to accomplish this?  I've dug in the archives as
much as I could to see if this had been discussed before, and I can't seem
to put together a complete picture of how to do even parts of this such as
merging two master servers or renaming a master server.

Can someone point me in the right direction or outline the rough steps to
take in order to do this the smart way?

The best scenario I've come up with so far is to upgrade the existing
servers to 5.x and let them run for a while.  Once we're confident that 5.x
is working fine we'd merge the two master servers into one on the new
hardware, renaming at the same time.  This would give us a good backout for
what appears to be the most difficult part of this, if we needed it.  We'd
also be able to do a few practice runs before we pull the trigger for real.

Should we be bringing in VERITAS professional services for some of this?
The client does have a couple of days worth of VERITAS' time that we could
use for the most difficult steps.

---
Blayne Puklich             Minneapolis, MN       PGP Key ID: 0xC52CA6C1
* mailto:blayne at puklich.com
         I'd explain it to you, but your brain would explode.