Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup Failed to complete command....

2004-12-17 03:21:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup Failed to complete command....
From: monique.marais AT alindigo DOT com (Monique Marais)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:21:28 +0200
Hi All,

I've run into a slight problem, hoping someone can please help me.

Our environment runs a single Master/Media server with
Win2000 server, Netbackup datacentre 4.5, Feature Pack 6. The backup
server is connected to a Dell power vault 136 T via fibre.

 The SAP environment runs on SQL 2000, with Veritas netbackup SAP agents
installed on the client to backup the Production, Development and
Quality Assurance systems. The veritas netbackup agent uses an SQL
script to backup online databases. Online backups on these SAP systems
are scheduled to commence at 18h00 and the backup window stretches until
6h00 am, the following morning. SAP transaction log backups kick in
after 6h00 am and run through-out business hours till 18h00.

This solution has being effective until recently when db's on certain
systems started getting skipped. The activity monitor does not register
failures and I can only determine skipped files when pulling client
backup reports by noticing the sizes on the databases. The SAP owners
get notifications from within SAP with the following error messages:

2004-12-13 18:29:45.74 spid211   BackupVirtualDeviceSet::AllocateBuffer:
failure on backup device 'VNBU0-1536-3204'.
Operating system error 995(error not found).

2004-12-13 18:29:45.74 backup    BACKUP failed to complete the command
backup database "SQA" to VIRTUAL_DEVICE='VNBU0-
1536-3204' with blocksize = 512, maxtransfersize = 65536, buffercount =
1

When I activate manual backups between 7h00-8h00 in the mornings, to
compensate for skipped db files on certain systems, the backups execute
100%, successfully with no missing db files.

I can only draw two observations:
1. Veritas agents can back-up online db's if the DB file itself is not
processing any transactions as it may be locked from any backup
attempts.

2. The recent request from the SAP team to have the transaction log
schedule active around the clock, after 18h00 when Online backups
commence, leaving the bp-inetd listener daemon active and receiving
transaction log backup requests during online db backups.

Any help will be much appreciated

Regards,
Monz