Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] storage unit assignment

2004-12-16 14:32:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] storage unit assignment
From: Charles Ballowe <cballowe AT gmail DOT com> (Charles Ballowe)
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:32:39 -0600
I know in 3.4 storage unit assignment was alphabetical. One storage
unit was used until its drives were full then the next was selected.
Is this still the same in NBU 4.5 or 5.1? If so... can I do something
like -- suppose 3 media servers with 8 SSO drives named master,
media1, media2 - now suppose media2 has the best I/O performance so
i'd like it to be prefered, but would still like to balance I/O
between the 3 with master as the least used - can i create storage
units with names like:
1-media2
2-media1
3-media2
4-media1
5-master

and assign 2 drives to each storage unit, put the units in a storage
unit group, assign the group to backups and have the backups fairly
balanced between the servers? any downsides to something like this?
Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Charlie