Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How the media manager works from master

2004-12-13 18:42:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How the media manager works from master
From: larry.kingery AT veritas DOT com (Larry Kingery)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:42:31 -0500 (EST)
> Now i am coming to configure 2 database policies which are also the
> media servers. So i need med1 ( which is database box1 ) to backup
> to its connected devices. Therefore i have set my polciy for
> database1 to have storageunit med1-stor and client med1 I have done
> a third policy for database 2 having med2 as client and to use
> storage unit med2-stor.
>
> Now as my master server has med1, and med2 listed as clients or
> rather can connect to them it isnt going to try and transfer the
> files over network and then to the storage unit is it?

Nope.  The master will determine from the policy which storage unit to
use, and therefore which media server to use.  It will then instruct
the media server to initiate the backup and restore manager (bpbrm)
which will connect to the client (itself) and drive the backup
process.  [Note, if you're using database extensions it's a little
more complicated than this, but the important stuff is the same.]
There's a picture in the troubleshooting guide which shows all of the
processes and how they relate to each other.

One thing to consider in your scenario is how you would like to handle
the situation where there is some problem accessing the tape drives on
the media server.  In the example you've provided, if no tape drives
are available, the backup will fail.  If instead you configured
storage unit groups you would have the ability to say something like
"med1 backs up to med1 one if possible, if not it will use master1 if
it's available and if not go to med2".  Whether or not this is a
better or worse approach depends on your network and preferences, but
it's an option you should be aware of.

--
Larry Kingery
         It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.