Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Help with Media Server Setup netbackup 5

2004-12-08 12:17:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Help with Media Server Setup netbackup 5
From: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net (Dave Markham)
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 17:17:41 +0000
Thanks for this.

I guess i should have added something else which now i am finding very
difficult but thought would be easy.

My environment is using shared storage. Ill try and explain.

The whole system had been set up last year by someone else and then
left. Hostnames have been changed and i found out from an Op that the
San switch was unplugged altogether for some time. After powering it
backup i could see things from the master server and so all was ok.

----------
Master server connected to San Swtich in turn connected to Sun L700 with
5 tape drives.

This all seems fine and i can see WWN numbers of the robot and drives
etc and all is fine on command line sgscan and gui, after i ran the
sg.build and sg.install commands.

Now i am trying to install 2 media servers which use 3 of the drives as
shared.

---------
Media Servers attached to San Switch in turn attached to Sun L700 tape
drives using Zoning.

I have not admined the San switch and nothing should need doing there as
it has not been touched since the system was first put in.

I uninstalled all old netbackup software and am installing v5 mp3.
I have rebooted my media server 'reboot -- -r; to re-read devices etc.

I was hoping to see the same WWN tape drives on the sgscan ( after
installing netbackup and saying which the master server was ) on the
media server, but i dont see any.

I do however see the /dev/rmt/*cbn files for each of the attached tape
drives which are shared, yet these device paths are different than the
master server. This is fine.

I have old outputs from tpconfig -d and  bp.conf etc from the pre-me
install.

Questions:-

1.Im not sure how to know if all these devices are on the media servers
are talking.
2. Should i be seeing these wwn devices the same?
3. Should the device discovery be done from the master? I am happy with
using tpconfig but am frustrated because i can set it up how it used to
be but dont think that is quite right and theoretically i shouldnt have
any tpconfig output if i was installing new.
4. Do i share the drives from the master system gui first before
configuring media servers? Or do i share things after?
5. The topology view should only list the 5 drives right even if they
are shared and not list 3 of the shared drives for each host which is
connected to them. Im confused with them having different devices paths
etc see for /dev/rmt

Its all odd.

Sorry this is long now, and dont want to pester more. As this is a
remote site i have asked ops to check all connections are ok, but am
unsure how to check all this San zoning and fibre stuff.

To note i put a tape in a drive using robtest from the master and
running this :-

mt -f /dev/rm/3cb status    on the media server would show it as having
a tape in.

The problem is what was referenced as Drive1 on the master ( and gui )
where i put tape in, had device /dev/rmt/2cbn where as probing from the
media server it showed up on 3cbn after trying the 1, and 2

This proves the media server can see something, but not via its wwn
numbers :(

I havent set up a master and separate media server before let alone
shared storage, but ive had plenty of experience with Netbackup on one
host backing up 30 odd clients.

I read through docs and docs but its all mad