Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Remote netbackup client install over ssh help

2004-12-06 09:33:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Remote netbackup client install over ssh help
From: juanino AT yahoo DOT com (Jerry)
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 06:33:47 -0800 (PST)
I had this problem with linux originally as well,
which doesn't even ship with ftp opened anymore I
believe.  My solution is to create an rpm, and for
Solaris I'm going to create a package as well.  This
way you can scp the file and issue an ssh command to
install it.

I'll post a script to make the package here once I get
around to it.  Veritas really should consider
packaging their software for platforms instead of
requiring cheezy ftp scripts and rsh scripts to handle
it.

--- "Weber, Philip" <Philip.Weber AT egg DOT com> wrote:

> I have similar problems with restrictions on where
> we can use ftp & rsh, and
> firewalls creeping in between clients and servers.
> I have an admin server which can ssh to master/media
> and clients as root, so
> initially wrote a script to :
>
> o  use sudo to ssh to master to check for
> sftp_to_client script.
> o  if not found, hack ftp_to_client script into
> sftp_to_client (on master).
> o  ssh to master to run sftp_to_client on master to
> push out install to
> client.
> o  ssh to client to run the client_config script.
>
> This all worked nicely, but then they restricted ssh
> access to the master
> couldn't ssh/scp/sftp to the client, traffic was
> only allowed from the admin
> server :-(.
>
> So the script now :
> o  checks client's OS version
> o  checks master for inst_client script for that OS
> version
> o  if not found, hack ftp_to_client script into
> inst_client script which
> copies locally instead of ftp
> o  ssh to master to run inst_client script to build
> client install on the
> master
> o  scp the install dir back to the admin server
> o  scp the install dir from the admin server to the
> client
> o  ssh to the client to run the client config script
>
> It's now a bit slow (!) but at least it runs
> unattended.
>
> I can post either script if it would be helpful.
>
> cheers, Phil

/usr/openv/netbackup/client/Solaris/Solaris9/install_client