Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] unable to allocate new media for backup

2004-12-06 01:05:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] unable to allocate new media for backup
From: Eric.Ljungblad AT CopleyPress DOT com (Eric Ljungblad)
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 22:05:47 -0800
If the bpexpdate does not unassign a tape and it still shows assigned,
And the images on media report has nothing in the database then there
May be a volume database conflict?

We had a situation where we had a UNIX media server and Win 2003 media
server / master server - Controlling the same robot -

I found a situation where I could not use bpexpdate  - it said tape not
Found in database -  then reports  images on media showed nothing,

The only way I could "per Veritas support was using the deassignbyid"
That worked -  But what was the real issue was that the UNIX admin had
Pointed the VOLMGR database to his UNIX server so we had 2 volume database
Hosts -

In the robot properties, the volume database host needs to be set to the
Master server regardless of the media server, they all should point to the
Master server as the volume database host. If not there could and will
Be issues, including unable to use bpexpdate to deassign a tapes. Although
You may still show the tapes in the media pools -

Eric Ljungblad
Computer Operator
Copley Information Services
Eric.Ljungblad AT copleypress DOT com