Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] netbackup available_media script

2004-11-12 12:31:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] netbackup available_media script
From: wts AT MAINE DOT EDU (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:31:26 -0500
I find it useful, Dale!  Thank you!

Trivia ...

* I concur that "-ev" cannot be on the bpmedialist command (and is not
needed) for v5.1.

* I would have preferred the "-size" option to report size of data in
GB, changing the heading and reporting just numbers rather than G or M,
etc. ... but that's just me.  I also like right-aligned numbers, but
again, that's just me (and available_media did set a precedent).

* I like to see new and replacement commands to any system have their
own unique names, where possible. I call this gem
"available_media_by_DaleKing.perl". Obviously an "exit" must be named
appropriately, but other programs should have their own names.  There
are a number of reasons for this.  First, if you or a colleague ever
goes to the vendor talking about program "x", you both know exactly the
program you're talking about: the vendor's!  If the vendor changes the
program, yours remains intact (and can be changed if/when you want).  If
you're forgetful like me, or are replaced or have a helper someday, it's
much more obvious where you have local code.

* For those that use "non root admin", you might want to consider
changing the group on this command, vmpool, vmquery and bpmedialist so
the non root admins can run it.

Thanks again, Dale!     cheers, wayne