Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How to use different tape even when not full?

2004-11-16 14:19:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How to use different tape even when not full?
From: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:19:30 -0700
Two choices, in my opinion.

You can create a policy with 5 schedules, each specifying a different pool
with a different day in the open backup window.  Each of your 5 tapes would
be assigned (either manually or automatically from the scratch pool) to a
different pool name.  Note, you'll need at extra tapes to pull this off.
When the last image is written to your Monday pool tape, you'll need an
empty tape to continue any of that day's remaining backups or, depending on
your retention period for your data, allow the following week's backups to
continue to a new tape while waiting for your previous Monday tape to expire
and be reusable.  (NB won't fill in the "empty" space on the beginning of
the tape while waiting for the end of the tape images to expire).  This
would be the "classic" solution, IMO.

Another choice would be to write a gizmo to be run as a post-job script.
This script would look up the previously used tape, then "suspend" it.  A
suspended tape will have no further backups written to it (like a frozen
tape) but will expire and be reusable once the image(s) on that tape expire
normally (unlike a frozen tape).  Each new "Monday" job will require a new
tape unless a previous Monday tape is fully expired of images.  You could
keep all your tapes in one pool if you choose with this method but it'll
probably require more tapes than the previous method.

HTH - Mark