Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] OS X as a UNIX client

2004-10-22 09:52:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] OS X as a UNIX client
From: rob AT worman DOT org (Rob Worman)
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:52:45 -0500
On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 12:24:46PM -0700 or thereabouts, Christopher Jay
Manders wrote:

> A little delayed, perhaps, but MacOS X has one big issue that has not
> been addressed yet.
> That is to do with the 'Bundle Bit'.
> In  Mac OSX the applications that appear in the GUI are actually
> directories with lots of little files (DLL-type libraries and things
> mostly) and with the bundle bit on on the directory. So, you are
> actually clicking on a directory (named the app) when you open an app
> with MacOSX. then, when you open an app it changes the timestamp of
> files in the directory, and so can cause GIGabytes of extra backups. We
> have to exclude all applications. Luckily that is easy enough with
> include_list and exclude_list files

Christopher-

This NetBackup/OSX problem you describe isn't something
I've heard before, and after running a few quick tests, I must
beg to differ.

Here's what I did on my G4 running MacOSX 10.3.5 :

Tests outside of NetBackup:
++++++++++
1) Create a reference file:
# touch /tmp/newer

2) From the Finder, launched numerous applications (all reside in
/Applications):
word 2004
macjournal
mail.app
internet explorer
fugu
fire.app
chicken of the vnc
iphoto

3) quit all of above applications

4) looked for files in /Applications that have been modified
since I created that reference file:
# find /Applications -newer /tmp/newer
#
+++++++++

The find command used above is examining each file's "mtime",
which is also what the NetBackup bpbkar process uses (by default)
to decide if files need to be included in an incremental backup.
This find command produced no output.

Test using NetBackup (4.5 FP7):
++++++++
1) Created a policy that backs up /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/
2) ran a full backup of this policy (400 MB backed up, yeeouch! :-)
3) launched Word 2004, created a new document in my home dir, quit
4) launched Excel 2004, created a new document in my home dir, quit
5) ran an incremental backup of this policy  (NO files backed up)

Is there some additional wrinkle to your claim above?
Cocoa vs. Carbon vs. Classic apps?

thx
rob