Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] OS X as a UNIX client

2004-10-21 15:24:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] OS X as a UNIX client
From: CJManders AT lbl DOT gov (Christopher Jay Manders)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:24:46 -0700
A little delayed, perhaps, but MacOS X has one big issue that has not
been addressed yet.
That is to do with the 'Bundle Bit'.
In  Mac OSX the applications that appear in the GUI are actually
directories with lots of little files (DLL-type libraries and things
mostly) and with the bundle bit on on the directory. So, you are
actually clicking on a directory (named the app) when you open an app
with MacOSX. then, when you open an app it changes the timestamp of
files in the directory, and so can cause GIGabytes of extra backups. We
have to exclude all applications. Luckily that is easy enough with
include_list and exclude_list files

HTH

Cheers!

--Chris.