Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Changing licenses...

2004-10-21 14:50:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Changing licenses...
From: mec AT dotorg DOT org (Matt Clauson)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:50:09 -0600
On Thursday 21 October 2004 11:26, Kevin Freels wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> We're running NB 4.5_FP6 on a Sun E-250. One of the two procs no
> longer shows up in prtdiag, and I've swapped it out with other procs
> from salvage systems we have lying around but to no avail. I'm
> assuming that we'll probably have to replace the motherboard if we
> stay with Sun.
>
> Of course, changing the MoBo means that the hostid will change, and
> the licenses won't match. This seems like a no-brainer as I can have
> Veritas just re-issue the licenses. However, like the man said, not
> everything is as it seems.
>
> Just wondering if anyone out in NetBackupLand has had some experience
> with swapping out MoBo's and/or changing hostid's (and licenses) and
> if there are any undocumented caveats I should beware of. We're also
> thinking that this might be the sign from above that we should make a
> move to a Linux server we've been contemplating; if there's anyone
> with war stories about a Sun-to-RedHat migration, I'd be interested
> in those, too.

Assuming that the BootPROM on the original system board isn't bad, you
can, and should be able to, swap the BootPROMs on the system boards.
This is normal practice for Sun hardware where host IDs are concerned.
Of course, if the 250 is still under any sort of Sun maintainance, I
would reccomend filing a case with Sun and having your local FE come
out and do it, but as long as you take proper astat precautions, etc, I
don't see any major problem with being able to swap the OBP over.  I've
done this on my personal hardware, and on the hardware of companies
that I have worked for.  I have also told other people to do this
before, and have been completely successful.

DISCLAIMER:  I used to work at Sun as one of the hardware support phone
techs.  I no longer do so, through no fault of my own.  YMMV.  If you
aren't comfortable working with static-sensitive parts, can't figure
out how to safely pull a PROM, or generally have bad luck with
electronics, have someone else do this for you.

--mec