Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape library Technologies

2004-10-20 14:25:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape library Technologies
From: joe AT joe DOT net (Johnny Oestergaard)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 20:25:20 +0200
I don't know the ATL P3000, so one thing I would like to know is how many
slots are we talking about?

One L700 supports up to 20 LTO drives, and you can connect 2 L700e to form
one system with a little under 1.400 slots in total

In general I like the StorageTek libraries. (from L180 and up)
They are stable, support is good, and it works well with NBU.

Our StorageTek library is around 4 years old now, and we don't have any
plans of changing that as long as we have the amount of slots we need. We
don't use LTO but STK9940B. And the maintenance is now just a running
contract where StorageTek sends us an invoice every 3 month (and we can
cancel it with 3 months notice)

I can't give that much advice about LTO1 vs. LTO2
Personaly I would go for LTO2 if I had to move away from STK9940B drives
(hope that will never happen)
But if you will stay with StorageTek libraries I would go for StorageTek's
own drives if possible. If not I would go for LTO2, especialy since it
seems that the new libraries will only support LTO (except the SL8500 and
that is a big and costly library)

/johnny