Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NET_BUFFER_SZ limited to 64K by windows

2004-10-20 13:24:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NET_BUFFER_SZ limited to 64K by windows
From: Robert.Stump.ctr AT dla DOT mil (Stump, Robert (Contractor) (DRMS))
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:24:46 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C4B6C9.B20C2EB1

I have always left the NET_BUFFER_SZ at the default of 32K.
The reasoning is that windows limited it to a max of 64K.
I didn't see a great enough advantage to make the switch.
Especially since EACH and EVERY machine has to be the same value.
And every media server or client that is added would need to be changed.
That complicates the environment.  If anyone has made this change,
then please share the results.

I have made numerous changes to NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS and SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS.
I have done testing with the bptm logfile for optimum throughput.
But I have never adjusted NET_BUFFER_SZ.

Also if anyone knows of problems restoring images from earlier settings.
NET_BUFFER_SZ; SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS; NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS where the older image
settings differ from the newly adjusted settings, then please warn me.

Thanks,

Bob Stump

------_=_NextPart_001_01C4B6C9.B20C2EB1

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=US-ASCII">
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2658.2">
<TITLE>NET_BUFFER_SZ limited to 64K by windows</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>I have always left the NET_BUFFER_SZ at the default of 32K.
</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>The reasoning is that windows limited it to a max of 64K.
</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>I didn't see a great enough advantage to make the switch.
</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Especially since EACH and EVERY machine has to be the same
value. </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>And every media server or client that is added would need to
be changed. </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>That complicates the environment.&nbsp; If anyone has made
this change, </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>then please share the results.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>I have made numerous changes to NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS and
SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>I have done testing with the bptm logfile for optimum
throughput.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>But I have never adjusted NET_BUFFER_SZ.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Also if anyone knows of problems restoring images from earlier
settings.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>NET_BUFFER_SZ; SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS; NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS where
the older image </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>settings differ from the newly adjusted settings, then please
warn me.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Thanks,</FONT>
</P>