Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How Many Netbackup Admins Does It Take ...

2004-10-12 13:00:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How Many Netbackup Admins Does It Take ...
From: kevin.denton AT eds DOT com (Denton, Kevin M)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:00:43 -0500
I believe this all depends on how you define the role of the Netbackup
Administrators and the dependability of your backup infrastructure.

I'm currently on a "2 man team" of netbackup administrators. We support 6
separate backup environments that span 3 separate data centers. We backup
about 80 TB a week across about 900 clients. We are considered the SAs on
the backup servers and robots, but we generally don't have accounts much
less root access on the clients (makes it quite difficult to troubleshoot
client side issues). IF everything was running optimally, this would be a
workable situation. However, we are dealing with beyond end of life hardware
and software for most of our backup infrastructure.

In a situation like this we often feel we are running from fire to fire,
spinning plates, and waiting for it all to come crashing down. Issues can go
for days before we have the time to focus on it.

All of us here understand the importance of backups. Unfortunately, come
time for management to sign the check for additional headcount or hardware
they often lose site of that fact. After all, "Backups aren't at all
important. It's the restores that are important" ;-)

KD