Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Prblem with bpexpdate

2004-09-23 15:40:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Prblem with bpexpdate
From: wenestvedt AT jwu DOT edu (William Enestvedt)
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:40:22 -0400
I am having a problem running bpexpdate on my Solaris NBU 3.4.1 Master
Server.
   I just did a User backup of a few specific files from a host name
pvd-dat-60, and now I want to save it for a year (instead of the 1 Month
retention level it now has). So I ask the Master Server (pvd-mgt-05) where
the image lives:
     [Please excuse the auto text-wrapping.]
---------start terminal capture---------
pvd-mgt-05# bpimmedia -L -mediaid SN1179 -client pvd-dat-60

Backup-ID            Class      Type  RL  Files   C  E  T  PC  Expires
Copy Frag    KB Type Density FNum      Off       Host       DWO MPX Expires
MediaID
--------------------

pvd-dat-60_109596135 user_jobs  UBAK  3   20      N  N  R  1   13:42
10/24/2004
 1   1 30016064 RMed dlt3    5         355950    pvd-app-04 0   N   13:42
10/24/2004 SN1179
---------end terminal capture---------

   So the tape in question should be SN1179, which is what the progress
window said. Onward! I try to extend this to retention level 8, which is one
year:
---------start terminal capture---------
pvd-mgt-05#  bpexpdate -recalculate -backupid  pvd-dat-60_109596135 -ret 8
Are you SURE you want to recalculate expiration dates on all images
that meet the following criteria:
  backupid         pvd-dat-60_109596135
  retention will be changed to 8(1 year)

Continue?(y/n)y
no entity was found
---------end terminal capture---------
   Whattaya mean, no entity?! I tried running it on the Media Server I
question, but the same lame error appears. I tried adding "-h
media_server_hostname" as suggested in a message from this list, but that
just throw the usage message back in my face. I also tried to run it as "
pvd-mgt-05# bpexpdate -backupid  pvd-dat-60_109596135 -d 09/23/2005 00:01"
but I got the same "no entity found" error.
   Can User backups not be extended? Is this a known NBU 3.4 bug? I can't
find anything specific to bpexpdate in any of the patch descriptions.
   Thanks in advance for any advice.
-wde
--
William Enestvedt