Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] multistreaming directory and sub-directories without backing up data twice on sub-directories?

2004-09-22 18:54:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] multistreaming directory and sub-directories without backing up data twice on sub-directories?
From: jtran AT telecarecorp DOT com (Jessica Tran)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:54:56 -0700 (PDT)
On page 132 of the 5.1 Sys Admin Guide, you can start
reading about "Directives for Multiple Data Streams."

Using the NEW_STREAM directive is possible in this
case, but I think the auto-discover with " dir/* "
wildcards is better for your environment because it
automatic produces a new seperate stream for every file
and directory.

-JT

Danny Baldonado Danny.Baldonado AT lucasfilm DOT com
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:10:30 -0700

I'm trying to backup a directory and we are currently
using multistreaming ("Allow Multiple Data Streams").
We use the "Auto-discover Streaming Mode" feature since
we use wildcards on our file list which currently
consists of:
/dir/*

This creates a new stream for every file and
sub-directory under "/dir" and this works for us since
this data is located on very fast SAN disk and we limit
the number of jobs per policy.

We have a couple of sub-directories that we would like
to multistream even further since they contain the
majority of the data.  Something along the lines of:
/dir/subdir/*

The question is how do we keep the administration
simple, but at the same time not duplicate the data
being backed up.  The sub-directories can vary in name
and can be added or removed by our developers at any
time, but they will always end in "data" in the
sub-directory name.  I've tried this file listing
configuration:
/dir/*
/dir/*data/*

but the "data" sub-directories are being backed up
twice.

Any ideas on how to do this with a single policy?

Is the answer to use 2 policies and have an exclude
list on the first to exclude the specific
sub-directories?

peace,
dannyB
--------------------------
Daniel Baldonado
Unix Administrator
Lucasfilm Ltd.
danny.baldonado AT lucasfilm DOT com
415-662-7577

The documents accompanying this electronic transmission, or this transmission
itself, may contain Protected Health Information. This information belongs to
the sender and is legally privileged. The information is intended only for the
use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that you may not disclose, copy, distribute
or take action on the information in these documents. All such activities are
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, delete the
e-mail immediately and empty your deleted items folder or take any steps
necessary to ensure permanent deletion.