Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP Backups through a Firewall

2004-09-21 17:31:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP Backups through a Firewall
From: nhruby AT uga DOT edu (nathan r. hruby)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:31:57 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 Steve.Bally AT radisys DOT com wrote:

> All,
>
> Looking at what ports are required to opened to perform a 3-way NDMP
> backups through a firewall,  we opened up port 10000, and the
> set_ndmp_attr -verify comes back successful, but we are getting error code
> 99's.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I'm by no means a NBU expert (still learning, that's why I'm here, so
usual warning apply :)  but with our 3-Way NDMP backups these are the
usual suspects:

   Is ndmpmover running?
   Hostname in the drive specification?
   NDMP specified in the Storage Unit?
   Drive are marked up?
   Robot and tape pass a set_ndmp_attr -verify?

FWIW, ndmpmover needs to communicate with its self on port 10000.  If
set_ndmp_attr -verify works, then I'd think that the network parts are
probably fine and it's possibly something else wacky.  I think that I
typically get 99's when the drives are marked as down (which happens of you
kill ndmpmover first)

This is with NBU 4.5MP6.  I dunno if it's changed much in 5.0 or 5.1.

HTH,

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby AT uga DOT edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free