Veritas-bu

FW: [Veritas-bu] Drop built-in catalog backup for rsync?

2004-09-21 15:41:36
Subject: FW: [Veritas-bu] Drop built-in catalog backup for rsync?
From: William.Enestvedt AT jwu DOT edu (William Enestvedt)
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:41:36 -0400
Doug Ritschel reminded me, after my question about using rsync instead
of the built-in Catalog backup:

> Veritas does not recommend just backup up the files in
> the catalog using something like rsync.
>
> Why don't you just use a cron job to run bpbackupdb in
> the morning afer the backups complete?

   I smacked my forehead so hard my wife asked if I'd walked into a low
doorway. Thank you, Doug.
   The `bpbackupdb` command failed with a 120 error (and a really weak
error message) when I ran it from the Master Server, either via cron or
interactively. But when I ran it from the Media Server where the tape is
located, it backed up my Master Server, that Media Server, and two other
Media Servers. Excellent!
   So, thank you to everyone.
-wde
--