Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Replacing Failed Tape Drives

2004-09-16 07:37:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Replacing Failed Tape Drives
From: stephen.j.darragh AT baesystems DOT com (Darragh, Stephen J (CSC) (US SSA))
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 07:37:42 -0400
Hello

What would be the correct steps to take when replacing tape drives
(sdlt) on a sun solaris server scsi attached, no SSO.

My understanding is that the serial number is kept in vmglobDB and we
should delete the existing drive, then reboot -r and add the new drive
in.

Is this pretty much the same concept on Win2k as well?

2nd question, what do most people see as the cause of frozen SDLT tapes?
I understand that if it can't mount the same tape x times, on x drives,
then it believes the tape to be bad and freezes it.

Thanks
Stephen Darragh