Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restore question

2004-09-13 08:46:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restore question
From: dshauver AT laurustech DOT com (Dan Shauver)
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 07:46:08 -0500
Charlene,

I carried out just precisely this procedure for a client on Thursday of
last week, except on Solaris instead of SGI.  I used the rename hard
links option, but not the rename soft links.  Read up on the differences
between soft and hard links, and those choices should make sense.

Basically, hard links point to the actual data on disk, and soft links
point to a pathname.  Since you'll be booting of the restored drive as
/... instead of /mnt/..., your softlinks, after the reboot, will point
to the correct location, assuming you haven't changed the layout of the
filesystem(s) as well.

Dan Shauver
Systems Engineer
Laurus Technologies