Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Pointers for newbs?

2004-09-04 23:00:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Pointers for newbs?
From: jeffm AT nicusa DOT com (Jeff McCombs)
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 23:00:48 -0400
Gang,

    Can anyone point me to some decent resources for Netbackup newbs? While
I've been using the software for about a year, I've never actually felt
comfortable with my ability to actually do anything with it asdie from have
it run and cross my fingers any time I need to do a restore. :)

    Any pointers on weather or not Vault is useful, the best way to manage
tapes, barcoding suggestions, schedule suggestions etc. I'd be especially
interested in figuring out the best way to backup Veritas clusters (I'm
doing both systems individually right now)

    Incase anyone wants to tailor any responses towards my environment
here's what I'm working with;

    Netbackup Enterprise 5.0 MP
    Neo 2000 dual-drive library
    Media/Master server: Solaris 9 4/04
    About 24 Solaris 9 clients
    About 3 Windows 2k Adv Server clients

    While I've read a few books (Preston's 'unix backup and recovery', and
another book that I can't recall the name of at the moment), dug around on
storage mountian, etc. I'm just not finding the kind of information I'd need
to be able to make sense of some of the options and features NBU is capabale
of.

    TIA,
        -Jeff
---
  Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs
        -- Lilly Tomlin