Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Unwanted backup of /etc/mnttab filesystem on Solaris

2004-09-03 04:59:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Unwanted backup of /etc/mnttab filesystem on Solaris
From: ondrej.aksamit AT oskar DOT cz (Ondřej Aksamít)
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 10:59:50 +0200
Hi all!

We use Veritas NetBackup DataCenter solution to backup
of huge number of Unix - Solaris servers.

Since Solaris 8, /etc/mnttab is presented as separate filesystem.
It means in case of policy with "ALL_LOCAL_FILESYSTEMS"
setting we backup this filesystem every day with no output stream
(no change) and with result of huge number of 32KB small backup
jobs. It impacts our tape library with amount of unneeded start-stop
task and it results in shortening of tapes and devices lifetime.

Can anyone help with idea of excluding this with filesystem
without altering of all clients backup policy definitions.

Note: We cannot use exclude_list because of /etc/mnttab is
not file inside of other filesystem but standalone filesystem.

Thank you  in advance

Ondrej Aksamit