Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DR/Vault advice

2004-08-30 20:29:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DR/Vault advice
From: dale AT exemail.com DOT au (Dale King)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:29:12 +1000
On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 11:03:36AM -0400, Ashok Nair wrote:
> As part of  our DR plan, we planning to sent dailiy archive logs from
> bunch Oracle databases to another location. The state of the database at
> the DR site is in standby mode and the idea is to keep applying the
> archive logs(of course, taking into account the lag in shipping the
> tapes).
>
> The plan is to
>
> 1. Vault(using the Netbackup vault to vault the daily archive logs).
> 2. Import the tapes at the DR site
> 3. Apply the logs
> 4. Return the tapes
> 5. Reload the returned tapes at the primary site.

Have you considered transferring the arvchive logs over the network to the
DR site?  This saves messing with tapes entirely and dealing with the case
of failed backups.

> Couple of questions to all who's been there and done this
>
> 1. Is there any blatant flaw in the plan.? Any advice on vaulting?
> 2. How eaxctly would I extract the contents of the tape at the DR site? Do
> I have to make it part of the catalog @ the DR site?
> 3. How so I inject tapes back into the silo in original site? For this
> tape to be re-used should I keep the expiry just enough for the tape to
> turn around?

This would work, but you will need to make the images on tape the primary
copies within the catalog of the DR site.

You can either restore your catalog completely from tape, or import the
images directly off the tapes.  The former is probably faster and easier
to script.