Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Shared Robot on every media server?

2004-08-27 10:53:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Shared Robot on every media server?
From: vandevegt AT yahoo DOT com (Jim VandeVegt)
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 07:53:40 -0700 (PDT)
--0-1518631412-1093618420=:37661

I recently took over a NetBackup 5.0 installation. The installation is about 4
months old, SSO, Solaris master, mixture of Solaris and Win2000 media servers,
fibre attached LTO2 drives and robot.

My observation -- the robot is defined on each of the media servers.

What I'm looking at...
>From the jnbSA GUI, click Devices in the tree under "Media and Device
>Management".
Then click the robots tab in the lower panel of the right side.
I see an entry for each media and master server with Robot Name TLD(0), volume
database is the master server for all entries, robotic path is blank except for
the master server, robot control host lists the master server for all the media
server entries.

It's my first time working hands-on with an SSO setup, I might be seeing a
by-product of the SSO setup. It just seems strange to have the robot defined on
each media server. I'm used to an environment where a tape drive may be
attached to server1 within a robot controlled by server2, and the robot is not
defined on server1.

Does this setup make sense to anyone, or does it seem outwardly wrong?  The
system, BTW, is working OK.

Thanks,

Jim VandeVegt
vandevegt AT yahoo DOT com jim.vandevegt AT pmic DOT com
There is no luck except where there is discipline.

--0-1518631412-1093618420=:37661

<DIV>I recently took over a NetBackup 5.0 installation. The installation is
about 4 months old, SSO, Solaris master, mixture of Solaris and Win2000 media
servers, fibre attached LTO2 drives and robot.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>My observation -- the robot is defined on each of the media servers. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>What I'm looking at...</DIV>
<DIV>From the jnbSA GUI, click Devices in the tree under "Media and Device
Management".</DIV>
<DIV>Then click the robots tab in the lower panel of the right side.</DIV>
<DIV>I see an entry for each media and master server with Robot Name TLD(0),
volume database is the master server for all entries, robotic path is blank
except for the master server, robot control host lists the master server for
all the media server entries.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>It's my first time working hands-on with an SSO setup, I might be seeing a
by-product of the SSO setup. It just seems strange to have the robot defined on
each media server. I'm used to an environment where a tape drive may be
attached to server1 within a robot controlled by&nbsp;server2, and the robot is
not defined on server1.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Does this setup make sense to anyone, or does it seem outwardly
wrong?&nbsp; The system, BTW, is working OK.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><BR><BR>Jim VandeVegt<br>vandevegt AT yahoo DOT com
jim.vandevegt AT pmic DOT com<br>There is no luck except where there is
discipline.<p>
                <hr size=1>Do you Yahoo!?<br>
<a
href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/50x/*http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail/static/efficiency.html";>Yahoo!
 Mail</a> - 50x more storage than other providers!
--0-1518631412-1093618420=:37661--