Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] files in the catstore directories

2004-08-26 16:14:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] files in the catstore directories
From: Samuel.Grover AT cna DOT com (Grover,Samuel)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:14:32 -0500

------_=_NextPart_001_01C48BA9.4C659494

Hello all,

I'm running NBU 4.5 on various platforms (AIX 5.2 and HP/UX 11.11) and
I'm noticing some quirky behaviour with my catalogs.  In each client
directory in ../db/images, I'm finding a catstore directory.  My
understanding of this directory is that it is a collector directory that
contains temp files that are created while backups are running and are
cleared out after a backup completes.  If netbackup exits unexpectedly
or the volume fills up, it is my understanding that these temp files are
orphaned and left forever.

The problem is this.  My catstore directories contain gigs and gigs of
data across my multiple master servers.  One on master server, 40% of
db/images is catstore information, 60% on another master and nearly 83%
on my third 4.5 master server.  This seems abnormal.  Has the function
of the catalog changed?  My images still maintain a header file and an
associated .f file, but then there are the catstore directories.

Any information the community at large has about these files would be
greatly appreciated. Are these files safe to delete if they aren't
currently being used for backups?  Are these old files needed for any
purpose? Can I delete old ones?

Thanks,

Sam

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  The contents of this e-mail message and any=
 attachments are intended solely for the=0D
addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged=
 information. If you are not the=0D
intended recipient of this message or if this message has been addressed to=
 you in error, please=0D
immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message=
 and any attachments. If you=0D
are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use,=
 dissemination, distribution, copying, or=0D
storage of this message or any attachment is strictly prohibited.
------_=_NextPart_001_01C48BA9.4C659494

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=
=3Dus-ascii">
<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version 6.5.7226.0">
<TITLE>files in the catstore directories</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/rtf format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Hello all,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I'm running NBU 4.5 on various platforms=
 (AIX 5.2 and HP/UX 11.11) and I'm noticing some quirky behaviour with my=
 catalogs.&nbsp; In each client directory in ../db/images, I'm finding a=
 catstore directory.&nbsp; My understanding of this directory is that it is=
 a collector directory that contains temp files that are created while=
 backups are running and are cleared out after a backup completes.&nbsp; If=
 netbackup exits unexpectedly or the volume fills up, it is my=
 understanding that these temp files are orphaned and left=
 forever.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">The problem is this.&nbsp; My catstore=
 directories contain gigs and gigs of data across my multiple master=
 servers.&nbsp; One on master server, 40% of db/images is catstore=
 information, 60% on another master and nearly 83% on my third 4.5 master=
 server.&nbsp; This seems abnormal.&nbsp; Has the function of the catalog=
 changed?&nbsp; My images still maintain a header file and an associated .f=
 file, but then there are the catstore directories.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Any information the community at large has=
 about these files would be greatly appreciated. Are these files safe to=
 delete if they aren't currently being used for backups?&nbsp; Are these=
 old files needed for any purpose? Can I delete old ones?</FONT></P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Sam</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
 CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  The contents of this e-mail message and any=
 attachments are intended solely for the <br>addressee(s) and may contain=
 confidential and/or legally privileged information. If you are not the=
 addressed to you in error, please <br>immediately alert the sender by=
 reply e-mail and then delete this message and any attachments. If you=
 dissemination, distribution, copying, or <br>storage of this message or=
------_=_NextPart_001_01C48BA9.4C659494--