Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Library based cleaning [L180]

2004-08-18 13:52:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Library based cleaning [L180]
From: joe AT joe DOT net (Johnny Oestergaard)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:52:40 +0200
Our L180 is almost 4 years old now and we have never used anything else
then the library based cleaning.

We had a small problem in the beginning, but that was because we didn't put
the cleaningtapes in the service slots in the library.
But we use 9940B's, and before that 9940A's.

But I remember that I read something somewhere that the problem is the LTO
drives. Origialy there was nothing about tapecleaning in the LOT specs so
the drives don't signal to the library that they need cleaning.
I also think that only two of the 3 major LTO vendors have implemented
signaling of cleaning, but I don't remember who it was (but I think IBM was
one of them), but only on LTO1 and not LTO2.

But since we don't use LTO I don't follow that kind of info so closely.

/johnny