Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] exit status 174

2004-08-16 14:28:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] exit status 174
From: thoke AT northpeak DOT com (Tim Hoke)
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:28:50 -0500 (CDT)
Actually, this is a NetBackup status 174, not MM:

# bperror -S 174 -r
media manager - system error occurred
An abnormal condition occurred causing a tape manager (bptm) or disk
manager (bpdm) failure. This should not occur under normal circumstances.
Note: If this occurs on a Sequent platform and you are attempting to back
up more than four gigabytes of data, save all your logs and call VERITAS
technical support. For other platforms perform the recommended actions
described below.

Try the following:

1.  Check the NetBackup Problems report to see if it shows the cause of
the problem. If you see a Problems report message similar to
  "attempted to write 32767 bytes, not a multiple of 512"
   save all logs and call VERITAS customer support.
2.  On UNIX, if this occurs during a restore, it may be that the tape
drive is incorrectly configured to write in fixed length mode when it
should write in variable length mode.
   Verify your drive's configuration, comparing it to what is recommended
in the Media Manager Device Configuration Guide (also see step 7 of this
procedure).
   If your configuration incorrectly specifies fixed length mode, change
the configuration to specify variable length mode and suspend media that
were written on that device. The images written to those media may be
restorable (this is platform dependent), but single file restores are
almost guaranteed to fail.
3.  If you see the problem with only one client, verify that the client
binaries are correct, especially those for bpcd.
4.  Can you read or write any other images on this media?
   If so, check the following reports for clues:
   *  Images on Media report
   *  Media Contents report
5.  Verify the following:
   *  The media by using the NetBackup image verify option.
   *  That you are using the correct media type for the device.
6.  Check the system or console log for errors (on UNIX) or the Event
Viewer Application log (on Windows).
7.  For detailed debug information, create a debug log directory for
either bptm or bpdm (whichever applies) and retry the operation. Check the
resulting debug log.
   On UNIX systems, if the bptm debug log shows an error similar to
00:58:54 [2304] <16> write_data: write of 32768 bytes
indicated only 29696 bytes were written, errno = 0
   it may be that the tape drive is configured to write in fixed length
mode rather than variable length mode, and the image being written
encountered the end-of-media.
   Take the corrective action suggested in step 2.

First off, you'll want to check the bptm log for either a <16> or <32>
error.  That's going to tell you if it's drive (as in Number 7 above) or
network (not a multiple of 512/1024) type error.  THen you'll have to
troubleshoot from there based on which type it is.

HTH
 -Tim