Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Client port window

2004-08-16 09:25:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Client port window
From: sgiessle AT mail.as.wvu DOT edu (Steve Giessler)
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:25:28 -0400
I have Veritas Netbackup 3.4 Business Server and the Master Server is
a Windows 2000 box. I have several Solaris 8 + 9 sparc clients. My
question is:

How can I change the settings on the Master Server to force all of
the tcp/ip ports used for backups to be unreserved (high) ports
(above 1024)? We have restrictions on privileged (reserved)  ports
(0-1024) that prohibit me from backing up certain machines in other
buildings on campus.

Under "Master Server Properties" window I found the "Universal
Settings" tab that has a checkbox "Allow unreserved ports." I checked
that, applied the change, and then went to the "General Server" tab
to specify my port ranges. When I try to specify ports under "Client
Port Window" and "Server Port Window" it allows me to click the
checkboxes and enter in port ranges, but then when I click the
"Apply" button at the bottom, my changes are immediately removed and
the boxes deselected and grayed out. It won't allow me to  specify
any port range that I want to put in. What am I doing wrong?

I also tried to uncheck the "Use random port assignment" box that was
checked in the same window - it accepts that change, but still does
not allow me to assign my own port ranges.
--

Steve Giessler, Unix System Administrator
West Virginia University