Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Listing tapes in a media server's media catalog

2004-08-10 10:18:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Listing tapes in a media server's media catalog
From: david.chapa AT adic DOT com (David Chapa)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:18:16 -0600
Why don't you just create the NEW drives as HCART2, then all new Media
(9940B) as HCART2 media that will ensure your success in keeping the
HCART media from being mounted in an HCART2 drive.

In my consulting days, I had a client doing the exact same thing you are
attempting and creating a second (or third depending on your
environment) MEDIA and DRIVE type (HCART2) solved everything.

Now remember, you'll have to create new Storage Units too that are of
type HCART2 and then modify your backup policies.

However, if you aren't keeping a 9940A drive around, then you'll have to
"freeze" the media.

bpmedialist -h $HOSTNAME -l | while read id rest
do
bpmedia -m $id -freeze
done

If you suspend the media then it will not be available for writes until
the last image on the media expires.  At that point it will be available
for writes again.  When you freeze media, it is not valid for writes
until you UNFREEZE it again later.

Hope this helps.

David A. Chapa * ADIC * 720.249.5836 * 720.272.8452 cell *
david.chapa AT adic DOT com

HIGH PERFORMANCE, SCALABLE, RELIABLE - http://www.adic.com/gopathlightvx