Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Error 54 - client connect timeout

2004-08-06 15:47:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Error 54 - client connect timeout
From: Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com (Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com)
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 13:47:11 -0600
Well - what I've done so far:

First off, the storage units are already set to a fixed storage group &
their bp.conf files contain the MUST_USE_LOCAL_DRIVES directive so the media
servers are using their locally defined storage unit as the destination.

My CLIENT_READ_TIMEOUT was already set to 7200 but CLIENT_CONNECT_TIMEOUT
was only 500 so I upped it to 1800 (Thanks, Penelope & Glenda).

I've set my Netbackup max-jobs/client for these clients to 99 (from 12 - a
mistake but it was still there) since they're media servers and I pretty
much let the media servers run wide open.  (The change to 12 jobs/client was
only recent and we've been plagued by these type of errors for longer than
this so I don't think this is too relevant.)

My master server's tcp time wait interval was still at default (120000 ms)
so I dropped it to 10000.  I also increased the default window sizes to 64K
(tcp_xmit_hiwat & tcp_recv_hiwat) from their defaults.  This matches my
master server's settings to these clients' already set values.  I also
increased the master server's TCP queue size (tcp_conn_req_max_q) to 2048
from 1024.

Backups are running now and I'm monitoring.

They'd start before - no problem - but would often have trouble completing
after hours of running.  I'll see where they are this weekend and update
this note on Monday.

Thanks to all who replied.

-M