Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Master/media server name change

2004-08-03 04:52:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Master/media server name change
From: hampus.lind AT rps.police DOT se (Hampus Lind)
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 10:52:25 +0200
Hi again!

Here are the steps that i have followed, and will follow again. I must ad,
that i know my unix server very well and administrat the hole solution by my
self, which is good when i do a large operation like this, so if somethings
go bad i almost always know where to start working... As been said here
before, you need to be able to figuer things out if something goes wrong...
But you always have a backup that you can restore and everything will be
like before... Be sure to prepair your self very much, and if you have a
test env, please try there first. Read up on every command, then you will be
fine.. Good luck! This is what i did, maybe your env is different from
mine... Read up!!

1. Stop Netbackup
2. Make a backup (ie: tar -cvf /dev/rmt/2m /opt/openv/
/opt/openv/netbackup/db) REMOVE AND SAVE THE TAPE.
if you want, make another backup, so you have 2.
3. Start netbackup
4. remove all drives and robots from your config (ie vmadm)
5. Change the following files with new server/host/master name: (we run
hpux)
/etc/hosts
/etc/rc.config.d/netconf
/opt/openv/netbackup/bp.conf
/opt/openv/volmgr/vm.conf
6. restart netbackup
7. add robot and drives (ie vmadm)
8. Change vmhost on all tapes. Move all volumegroups to standalone and then
back to the new master name. (ie vmadm)
9. Change the name in netbackup databas (take some time, 2 hours for us)
bpimage -newserver <new_name>
10. remove all licens and add them again. (This is olny for fun, it works
anyway, but the keys belong to old master name)
11. Done on the master side. Restart netbackup or even the hole server...
12. Change the master name on all cients (hosts and bp.conf and maybe more
places depending on how your set up is, ie scripts and so on).
 13. Try to do a backup AND restore....

MVH / Hampus Lind
Rikspolisstyrelsen
Tele arb: +46 (0)8 - 401 99 43
Tele mob: +46 (0)70 - 217 92 66
E-mail: hampus.lind AT rps.police DOT se