Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] backups/restores on MacOSX clients with attached firewire drives

2004-08-02 21:00:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] backups/restores on MacOSX clients with attached firewire drives
From: rob AT worman DOT org (Rob Worman)
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 20:00:16 -0500
At 2:32 PM -0700 8/2/04, Danny Baldonado wrote:
>Yeah, that's actually what i thought might be the culprit but there
>are NO exclude lists on these clients.
>I noticed that there is a hodge-podge of client settings with the
>policy and looking further into this it looks like there are various
>OS's and client software installed:
>
>Client      OS                      Kernel          NetBackup Client
>NetBackup Setting
>------      ---                     ------          ----------------
>-----------------
>raptor      Mac OS X 10.3.4 (7H63)  Darwin 7.4.0
>NetBackup-MacOSXS1.2 4.5FP_4    MacOSXS1.2
>tornado     Mac OS X 10.2.8 (6R73)  Darwin 6.8
>NetBackup-MacOSXS1.2 4.5MP3     MacOSX
>eagle       Mac OS X 10.2.6 (6L60)  Darwin 6.6
>NetBackup-MacOSXS1.2 4.5FP_4    MacOSXS1.2
>tigershark  Mac OS X 10.3.4 (7H63)  Darwin 7.4.0
>NetBackup-MacOSXS1.2 4.5FP_4    MacOSXS1.2
>pentagon    Mac OS X 10.3.4 (7H63   Darwin 7.4.0
>NetBackup-MacOSX10.2 4.5FP_4    MacOSX10.2
>skyhawk     Mac OS X 10.2.6 (6L60)  Darwin 6.6
>NetBackup-MacOSXS 3.4GA         MacOSX10.2
>
>Maybe i don't have the most recent Mac client installed and there's
>a bug in the older versions?  Or possibly just not the correct
>versions installed for the appropriate OS?...
>
>Anybody have Mac OS X experience that can let me know what works for them?...

Danny-

You have hit the nail on the head with your suspicion that you don't
have the right client binaries installed.  Of the hosts you list
above, ONLY pentagon is running the right binaries for its version of
MacOSX.  The other five hosts are running NBU binaries for "MacOSX
Server" version 1.2, when but the OS is actually MacOSX version 10.x

This mismatched configuration unfortunately "almost" works.  Most
backup and restore operations will work without a hitch, but the big
[and unfortunately silent...] problem is the exact issue you
originally posted about: the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES "autodiscovery" of
filesystems on the client host does not work properly.  (only the "/"
root filesystem is recognized)

The solution is for you to install the proper NetBackup binaries
("MacOSX10.2") on all of the above MacOSX clients ASAP.

As an FYI, here is a summary of what versions of NetBackup client
binaries should be used with which versions of MacOSX:

Here are all of the various MacOSX versions released to date:
====
(1)MacOSX Server, version 1.2 and earlier
(2)MacOSX Server, version 10.0 - 10.1.x
(3)MacOSX, version 10.0 - 10.1.x
(4)MacOSX Server, version 10.2.x - 10.3.x
(5)MacOSX, version 10.2.x - 10.3.x

For (1), use NetBackup-MacOSXS1.2
For (2) and (3), use NetBackup-MacOSX
For (4) and (5), use NetBackup-MacOSX10.2

Given that nobody runs "MacOSX Server 1.2" anymore, it's probably
time for Veritas to stop including the client binaries, as your
mistake is both dangerous and easy to make!

HTH
rob