Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: VMWARE

2004-07-23 13:35:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: VMWARE
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:35:25 -0500
--V0207lvV8h4k8FAm

* ChrisCosta AT tdwaterhouse DOT com <ChrisCosta AT tdwaterhouse DOT com>
[2004-07-23 10:=
04]:
> =20
> Gentleman,
> =20
> We are rolling out a large VMWARE project within out QA environment. Here=
 is
> a basic configuration of the new environment. There are going to be three
> large "Wintel" servers running Windows 2000, on each of the three servers
> will be running approximately 40 virtual VMWARE sessions. These three
> "Wintel" servers will have multiple HBA attached to a SAN Storage
> environment (Hitachi Series 9900) and will be engaged in LUN sharing.
> =20
> I am not trying to validate the configuration of the environment, what I =
am
> trying to do is understand how I will backup these three servers. I am
> assuming I will have to have the base Netbackup 4.5FP5 clients software f=
or
> the Windows 2000 OS and a NetBackup 4.5FP5 Linux agent on the servers to
> backup the VMWARE sessions? I am making the correct assumption? And if so,
> will there be any special configuration setting I will need to make?
> =20
> I appreciate any assistance I can get, I have little or no exposure to the
> Linux (VMWARE) OS and the sad thing is neither do any of the SA's here. So
> this should be fun. I would like to make sure I get good backups, since it
> will be a little shaky in the beginning until the SA's catch up to speed.
> =20
> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Based on what you are saying, I am assuming you are using VMware GSX
running on Win2000

It really depends on wether you need file-level backups on the VMs or
not. If you do, then you have to install the NetBackup client on each
guest.

The linux client works just fine, and you shouldn't have any issues with
installing it or running it (assuming these are RedHat Linux guests).=20

As for backing up the GSX servers, you can script the VMs to suspend and
then back them up if it's necessary to get the disk files. You may also
be able to use snapshots to create point-in-time files that you would
then be able to back up.

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com