Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 5.1 upgrade and status code 14 errors.

2004-07-23 13:24:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 5.1 upgrade and status code 14 errors.
From: Tie_Hoekstra AT kaltire DOT com (Tie_Hoekstra AT kaltire DOT com)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:24:40 -0700
I'll quickly outline my tale of sorrows...

Our environment is a Solaris 9 master/media server on a V480, Solaris, SCO and
Windows 2000/2003 as clients.

We have just performed an upgrade of our master server to 5.1 from 4.5fp6. This
upgrade was required due to a known bug in FP6, that caused our restores to
fail. The system was stable at 4.5FP6.

Now when backups run, most fail due to error code 14, or error code 41 errors.
When system up for more than 18 hours, high packet loss for pings on the
network interface on the master. SSH and X from the master will also freeze up,
while backup jobs are running.

When the NetBackup processes are all stopped, pings, SSH, and X work just as
before the upgrade. The /var/adm/messages file also show vmd being killed off a
large number of times in the last 18 hours.

We haven't had a successful backup of our production boxes in the last 48
hours. Most of our production databases will stop running due to lack of
redo/archive space in the next 24 hours if I don't get a good backup. I was
really looking forward to having a weekend, oh well.

I have an open call going with Veritas, but I though I might as well try the
shotgun approach and throw it out on the list.

<SIGH> Some days I just LOVE Netbackup....

Tie Hoekstra
Storage Systems Administrator
Infrastructure
Information Services, Vernon Office