Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP restores take hours

2004-07-22 06:36:08
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP restores take hours
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com (william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:36:08 +0100
This is quite normal.

As another reply said, you depend on DAR working to keep restore times
down.   DAR does exist provided you are on 4.5FP3 or newer.  There are
also Celerra version requirements, but there are documents on the EMC
PowerLink all about Netbackup and Celerra.  There is also a NetBackup NDMP
platform guide, on the Veritas web site.

Basically you must restore file explicitly for DAR to work - so no
wildcards, no folders.   Break that rule and it scans all the tapes
end-to-end.  As a rule of thumb, a non-DAR restore takes as long as the
backup took.   Could easily be over 12 hours if you have big backups.

So you need to train your backup team not to just kick off a restore of a
whole folder.  It is worth the time talking over with the user exactly
which files they need back - even get a listing and go through it.

There is also a limit of 1024 files (explicitly named), above which
NetBackup just decides it would be quicker to scan the whole backup
seqeuntially and turns off DAR.  You can adjust the 1024 file limit, there
is a parameter somewhere - but I've not tried it and I can imagine the
Celerra having a limit for the number of file path strings for a job.

You can use bplist and process the output into the input file for
bprestore (you have to put the path length at the start of each line).
That way you could break a big restore into 1024-file jobs.  I wrote an
awk script that does that conversion, but never used it as we could not
work out a way to get the operators to tell an NDMP restore from a normal
one, and playing with scripts is not their scene.

William D L Brown