Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 5.1 Feature or Rumor? - Backup Fails; then continues from POF

2004-06-29 14:10:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 5.1 Feature or Rumor? - Backup Fails; then continues from POF
From: SJACOBSO AT novell DOT com (Scott Jacobson)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:10:57 -0600

--=__PartD8F974A1.2__=

Sure enough - thanks, however;

>From reading the usage it appears that it only works on restores.

Jennifer, your comment below infers it works on backups?

-sj

>>> Jennifer <jc AT goo-rooz DOT com> 6/29/2004 12:07:21 PM >>>

Also to clarify the restart feature - it will restart the backup not at

the POF but at the most recent checkpoint which is set by
minutes....which is still handy

Greenberg, Katherine A wrote:

> I believe you are referring to the checkpoint restart. It became
> available in 5.0 GA for backups for Standard and Windows backups.
> (it's been available for restores since 4.5 FP3).
>
> This is from the release notes for 5.0:
>

> 6 NetBackup Release Notes for UNIX and Windows
>
> New Backup Capabilities With This Release
>
> NetBackup 5.0 contains enhancements and new features that enable a
> user to restart a backup at the last check point in the middle of the

> backup, build a new synthetic image, and enhanced open file backups
> name a few.
>
> ~ NetBackup Supports Checkpoint Restart for Backup Jobs
>
> Checkpoint Restart allows a failed backup job to be resumed from the

> last checkpoint. Checkpoints are taken periodically during a backup.

> Therefore, if a backup job fails, the issue causing the failure can
be
> corrected and the job can be resumed from the last checkpoint rather

> than at the beginning, thus saving time. In addition, an active
backup
> job may be suspended and then resumed from the last checkpoint at a
> later time. Also, jobs may be restarted from the beginning by
> selecting them from the Activity Monitor.
>
> Checkpoint restart for backups is supported for:
>
> ~ Backup jobs (support for restore jobs was introduced in 4.5 FP3).
>
> ~ Resume on file boundaries. This means the backup is resumed from
the
> next file after the last check-pointed file (for example, a resume
> cannot occur within a file).
>
> ~Backups of file-system backups (backups which use the Standard or
> Microsoft Windows policy types only).
>
> ~File system local and alternate client snapshot backups are
> supported. Other offhost backups (for example, Media Server Copy or
> Third Party Copy) are not supported.
>

> ~Kate
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Katherine Greenberg
> Systems Engineer
> Mid-Range Storage Management
> Aetna, Inc.

Aetna

--=__PartD8F974A1.2__=

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN: 4px 4px 1px; FONT: 10pt Tahoma">
<DIV>Sure enough - thanks, however;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>From reading the usage it appears that it only works on restores.</DIV=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Jennifer, your comment below infers it works on backups?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>-sj<BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Jennifer &lt;jc AT goo-rooz DOT com&gt; 6/29/2004 =
12:07:21 PM &gt;&gt;&gt;<BR></DIV>
<DIV style=3D"COLOR: #000000">Also to clarify the restart feature - it =
will restart the backup not at <BR>the POF but at the most recent =
checkpoint which is set by <BR>minutes....which is still handy<BR><BR>Green=
berg, Katherine A wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; I believe you are referring to the =
checkpoint restart. It became <BR>&gt; available in 5.0 GA for backups for =
Standard and Windows backups. <BR>&gt; (it's been available for restores =
since 4.5 FP3).<BR>&gt;&nbsp; <BR>&gt; This is from the release notes for =
5.0:<BR>&gt;&nbsp; <BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; 6 NetBackup Release Notes for UNIX and =
Windows<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; New Backup Capabilities With This Release<BR>&gt;<B=
R>&gt; NetBackup 5.0 contains enhancements and new features that enable a =
<BR>&gt; user to restart a backup at the last check point in the middle of =
the <BR>&gt; backup, build a new synthetic image, and enhanced open file =
backups to <BR>&gt; name a few.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; ~ NetBackup Supports =
Checkpoint Restart for Backup Jobs<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Checkpoint Restart =
allows a failed backup job to be resumed from the <BR>&gt; last checkpoint.=
 Checkpoints are taken periodically during a backup. <BR>&gt; Therefore, =
if a backup job fails, the issue causing the failure can be <BR>&gt; =
corrected and the job can be resumed from the last checkpoint rather =
<BR>&gt; than at the beginning, thus saving time. In addition, an active =
backup <BR>&gt; job may be suspended and then resumed from the last =
checkpoint at a <BR>&gt; later time. Also, jobs may be restarted from the =
beginning by <BR>&gt; selecting them from the Activity Monitor.<BR>&gt;<BR>=
&gt; Checkpoint restart for backups is supported for:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; ~ =
Backup jobs (support for restore jobs was introduced in 4.5 FP3).<BR>&gt;<B=
R>&gt; ~ Resume on file boundaries. This means the backup is resumed from =
the <BR>&gt; next file after the last check-pointed file (for example, a =
resume <BR>&gt; cannot occur within a file).<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; ~Backups of =
file-system backups (backups which use the Standard or <BR>&gt; Microsoft =
Windows policy types only).<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; ~File system local and =
alternate client snapshot backups are <BR>&gt; supported. Other offhost =
backups (for example, Media Server Copy or <BR>&gt; Third Party Copy) are =
not supported.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp; <BR>&gt; ~Kate<BR>&gt;&nbsp; =
<BR>&gt;&nbsp; <BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<BR>&gt; =
Katherine Greenberg<BR>&gt; Systems Engineer<BR>&gt; Mid-Range Storage =
Management<BR>&gt; Aetna, Inc.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; -----Original Message-----<B=
R>&gt; From: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu <BR>&gt; [<A =
href=3D"mailto:veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT
edu]">mailto:veritas-bu-=
admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu]</A> On Behalf Of Scott <BR>&gt;
Jacobson<BR>&=
gt; Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 1:41 PM<BR>&gt; To: veritas-bu AT mailman DOT
eng=
.auburn.edu<BR>&gt; Subject: [Veritas-bu] 5.1 Feature or Rumor? - Backup =
Fails; then <BR>&gt; continues from POF<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Can anyone =
confirm....<BR>&gt;&nbsp; <BR>&gt; Have I read that with 5.1 if a backup =
fails, you can now resubmit the <BR>&gt; job and if Enterprise sees a =
failure of that host within the same <BR>&gt; backup window that it will =
now continue the backup from the POF (point <BR>&gt; of failure) and =
finish the job?<BR>&gt;&nbsp; <BR>&gt; Would be very handy when backing up =
a 2 terabyte system that fails 3/4 <BR>&gt; of the way into the job.<BR>&gt=
;&nbsp; <BR>&gt; Thanks,<BR>&gt; Scott<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; This e-mail may =
contain confidential or privileged information. If you<BR>&gt; think you =
have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender by<BR>&gt; =
reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail immediately. Thank you. Aetna<BR>&=
gt;<BR><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--=__PartD8F974A1.2__=--