Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backups stalling and timing out

2004-06-18 11:56:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backups stalling and timing out
From: techlists AT comcast DOT net (Paul Greene)
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:56:20 -0400
Hello,

I'm in the process of configuring Netbackup 5.0 mp2 on a network with 12
clients. The Netbackup software is running on Windows 2000 Server.
(Disclaimer: this is my first time working with Netbackup)

Primary backups are running to a disk array. Secondary archival backups
are running to a tape drive.

I've set up a few different policies for the sake of initial testing of
the product. One policy runs a full backup of all clients; another
policy runs incremental backups of all clients; the third policy runs a
full backup to the tape drive.

The backup window runs from midnight to 4:00 am. The successful jobs
(about 2/3 of the client list) finish within 15-20 minutes. The
unsuccessful jobs just seem to stall, and then eventually timeout after
the 4 hour window expires, exiting with status 196.

For the test run on the full backup to tape, 2 jobs ran successfully,
and the rest were still trying to run 2 days later.

I have each policy configured to include all the clients (i.e. all 12
clients are included in the full backup policy, all 12 clients are
includd in the incremental backup policy, and all 12 clients are
included in the backup to tape policy).

Sorry I can't give more detailed information, but this is all I'm
getting as far as Veritas error messages. Event viewer has nothing
related to Netbackup in its system or application logs.

Any suggestions?

PG