Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] WRN - Content Indexing Server: unalbe to pause catalog Web (some files may not get backed up)

2004-06-15 16:44:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] WRN - Content Indexing Server: unalbe to pause catalog Web (some files may not get backed up)
From: jrmajor AT TexasChildrensHospital DOT org (Major, Rusty)
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:44:29 -0500
Technote for the Content Indexing Server error:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/search_forms/SearchFrame.asp?SearchTerm=unable%20to%20pause%20catalog%20web&Path=seer%2esupport%2everitas%2ecom%2fdocs%2f247062%2ehtm

You may need to copy and paste the link out.

I get the following two RSM errors on a couple of servers each night:
WRN - Removable Storage Management: unable to export database (WIN32
-2147221164: Class not registered )
WRN - Removable Storage Management: unable to export database (WIN32 1058: The
service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no
enabled devices associated with it. )

I have not tried this yet, but the following may help as it completely gets rid
of RSM:
DO NOT PERFORM THIS OPERATION IF YOU USE RSM WITH ANY OTHER BACKUP APPLICATIONS
AS THE RSM MEDIA DATABASE IS DELETED.

How to successfully remove the RSM service from Windows 2000.

1. Open the Services GUI, set the Removable Storage Manager service to
'disabled' and stop it.
2. Open %Systemroot%\System32 directory.
3. Find the directory 'Ntmsdata' and rename or delete it.
4. Open Regedt32.exe and delete the following: (this removes the service)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtmsSvc
5. Reboot the server

Veritas requested that RSM be disabled for version 3.4. I would assume that it
is still the case for 4.5 and above. So, it looks like these errors are really
nothing but an annoyance.

Rusty