Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] FW: Multistreaming/Multiprexing

2004-06-14 01:48:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] FW: Multistreaming/Multiprexing
From: Rob.DeLanghe AT telindus DOT be (Rob De Langhe)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 07:48:29 +0200
Ken,

you're fairly optimistic about your sustained Ethernet transfer rates : if the
theoretical max throughput of your 100Mbps card is 100 Megabit per sec, in
practice it will not get much higher than (Ethernet, remember) 20-25% of that,
or 20-25 Megabit per sec.
We have just that situation: the media/master server is currently reached via a
100Mbps card, but the backup speeds are allways never more than 2.5 megabyte
per sec, or (2.5*8=) 20 Megabit per sec...

In other companies I got the budget to add a separate backup/restore LAN
segment, again with a 100 Mbps card. This isolated backup traffic from other
business-oriented traffic, so there I got typically in the range of 50-70% of
theoretical Ethernet speed, which was already much better than 20%.

Here I am trying to convince management to get combination of both: a separate
backup/restore LAN segment, composed of a single Ethernet switch, that bears 4
Gigabit Eth ports, that I will dedicate to the heaviest occupied server ports:
backup-media server, plus 2 database servers.
My experience from a previous job is that in this case, it's largely sufficient
(1000Mbps = 125 MBps theoretical = 60-78MBps practical) to drive up to 3 SDLT
or LTO tape drives at full speed.

Just take care of the next bottleneck which will appear then: the connection
host <-> tape robot : if on Ultra-SCSI, you're at approx 80 MBps. Some robots
have a Fibre-Channel port, giving you approx 110 MBps between host and robot.

Rgds

Rob