Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] FW: Multistreaming/Multiprexing

2004-06-11 11:45:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] FW: Multistreaming/Multiprexing
From: Sibley_Ken AT accor-na DOT com (SIBLEY, Ken R. - ACCOR-NA)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:45:33 -0500
There is no set optimum setting for multistreaming or for multiplexing.
It is something you have to keep adjusting as you add/delete/upgrade
servers.

The best thing I can tell you for immediate results is if possible
put Gbit in your media servers.  Your current environment (assuming
the master is also a media server) is 3x100Mbit worth of traffic at
a time no matter how many tape drives you have/use.  300Mbit/8 =
~37.5MB/sec.  Since the SDLT's are going to be at least 11 MB/sec
uncompressed (depeneding upon the model) you cannot drive all the
drives full speed.  Putting Gbit into the media servers will change
to 3000Mbit/8 = 375MB/sec.

There are a few additional things to cover such as speed of media
servers, memory, load on the system, speed of servers with largest
concentration of data, etc.

This is by no means a final answer, but should be a good starting point.

Good Luck,
Ken
--
Sr Unix Admin