Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup of Pervasive SQL Databases - Any Experience Out There?

2004-05-05 14:04:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup of Pervasive SQL Databases - Any Experience Out There?
From: Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA (Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA)
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 13:04:11 -0500
--=_alternative 0063427686256E8B_=

veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu wrote on 05/05/2004 12:49:15 PM:

> We've been neatly side-stepping the issue of backing up other databases
for
> which there is no "backup agents" for NetBackup.  Well, I've decided to
move
> on this somehow.  I'm not yet sure, but I suspect (have been told,
really)
> that it should be possible to run a script to export the database(s) to
flat
> files so that they can in turn be backed up in the normal manner.  Are
there
> any junior DBA's (even Senior ones!) who have any experience or
suggestions
> that I can adapt in this effort?  And no, my Company doesn't employ a
DBA
> (don't laugh) or anyone to fill that type of position.  I can put
together a
> basic NetBackup command script, but I need a little help coming up with
the
> correct SQL syntax and actually applying that via an external command to
> Pervasive SQL.

We run progress databases. What we do is shutdown the db, do an os level
copy of the databases, startup the db and then backup the copy. This works
well for us. I'd imagine that a dump and load that your sugesting would
take more time in our environment.

Here are two other options:
(Pervaisive might have somthing similar)
Progress has a backup utility that creates a copy of the db while it's
running. There are various options here with transaction logging too. We
havn't had to do this yet since we have something that works.
Shutdown the db, then take a snapshot of the file system, then startup the
DB, backup the db. Solaris has disk based snapshots built in.

KFR
--=_alternative 0063427686256E8B_=

05/05/2004
12:49:15 PM:<br>
&gt; We've been neatly side-stepping the issue of backing up other databases
for<br>
&gt; which there is no &quot;backup agents&quot; for NetBackup. &nbsp;Well,
I've decided to move<br>
&gt; on this somehow. &nbsp;I'm not yet sure, but I suspect (have been
told, really)<br>
&gt; that it should be possible to run a script to export the database(s)
to flat<br>
&gt; files so that they can in turn be backed up in the normal manner.
&nbsp;Are there<br>
&gt; any junior DBA's (even Senior ones!) who have any experience or
suggestions<br>
&gt; that I can adapt in this effort? &nbsp;And no, my Company doesn't
employ a DBA<br>
&gt; (don't laugh) or anyone to fill that type of position. &nbsp;I can
put together a<br>
&gt; basic NetBackup command script, but I need a little help coming up
with the<br>
&gt; correct SQL syntax and actually applying that via an external command
to<br>
&gt; Pervasive SQL.<br>
</tt></font>
the db, do an os level copy of the databases, startup the db and then backup
the copy. This works well for us. I'd imagine that a dump and load that
your sugesting would take more time in our environment.</tt></font>
<ol>
a copy of the db while it's running. There are various options here with
transaction logging too. We havn't had to do this yet since we have something
that works.</tt></font>