Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Many strange errors: 4.5 FP5

2004-04-30 14:06:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Many strange errors: 4.5 FP5
From: SJACOBSO AT novell DOT com (Scott Jacobson)
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:06:07 -0600

--=__PartB0916F9F.0__=

Rusty,

Finally, I thought I was living with "cause it's Windows" issue
myself.

I have about twice the size of you environment.  Though I don't have
the hanging problems, when my problems start we notice the Policy Icons
(normally 3 circles) change into the windows "folder" standard icon.
The first case I opened with Veritas I ended up receiving a special
"nbconsole" binary that I believe is in MP6/FP6, but I'm not going
there, and that seemed to help we job hangs and 8x, 4x and other error
codes.  Since that case, I opened another case (now abandoned), when
Veritas said I would need to load a special symbols files as they were
convinced it was windows related (ie. memory leak).

So I'm now encouraged to try again with another case.

Call for details.

Scott J.
801-861-7668

>>> "Major, Rusty" <jrmajor AT TexasChildrensHospital DOT org> 4/30/2004
9:05:12 AM >>>

Recently, we've been seeing many strange things happen on our master
server about once a month.
The server doesn't seem to paint windows right with icons missing,
start menu not showing up, etc., etc. Along with this, the jobs seem
tojust hange there, o r fail with a variety of different codes: 13 (file
read failed), 44 (network write failed), 42 (network read failed), 54
(timed out connecting to client), 150 (terminated by administrator), 81
(media manager volume daemon is not active), etc. The issue is resolved
by rebooting the master. The server is usually rebooted at least once a
week.

The master server was rebuilt (OS and NBU) mid January, and we upgraded
to 4.5 FP5 in March. I have noticed this problem has happened at least
two other times since we have upgraded NBU. I am going to log a call
with Veritas support, but wanted to see if anyone else had experienced
any issues similar to this.

Environment:
4.5 FP5 Master/Media
Clients are mix of 4.5 FP5 and 3.4.1

1 Master: Win2k SP4; 4.5 FP5
13 Media: Win2k SP4; 4.5 FP5
200+ clients: Win2k SP4/NT4 SP6; 4.5 FP5/3.4.1_3

We usually reboot the server at least once a week for varying reasons,
so I do not believe it's the normal 'reboot cause it's Windows' reason.

Rusty Major, MCSA, MCSE
Information Services
Texas Children's Hospital
(832) 824-4125

--=__PartB0916F9F.0__=

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN: 4px 4px 1px; FONT: 10pt Tahoma">
<DIV>Rusty,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Finally, I thought I was living with "cause it's Windows" issue =
myself.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I have about twice the size of you environment.&nbsp; Though I don't =
have the hanging problems, when my problems start we notice the Policy =
Icons (normally 3 circles) change into the windows "folder" standard =
icon.&nbsp; The first case I opened with Veritas&nbsp;I ended up receiving =
a special "nbconsole" binary that I believe is in MP6/FP6, but I'm not =
going there, and that seemed to help we job hangs and 8x, 4x and other =
error codes.&nbsp; Since that case, I opened another case&nbsp;(now =
abandoned),&nbsp;when Veritas said I would need to load a special symbols =
files as they were convinced it was windows related (ie. memory leak).</DIV=

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>So I'm now encouraged to try again with another case.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Call for details.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Scott J.</DIV>
<DIV>801-861-7668<BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; "Major, Rusty" &lt;jrmajor@TexasChild=
rensHospital.org&gt; 4/30/2004 9:05:12 AM &gt;&gt;&gt;<BR></DIV>
<DIV style=3D"COLOR: #000000">Recently, we've been seeing many strange =
things happen on our master server about once a month.<BR>The server =
doesn't seem to paint windows right with icons missing, start menu not =
showing up, etc., etc. Along with this, the jobs seem tojust hange there, =
o r fail with a variety of different codes: 13 (file read failed), 44 =
(network write failed), 42 (network read failed), 54 (timed out connecting =
to client), 150 (terminated by administrator), 81 (media manager volume =
daemon is not active), etc. The issue is resolved by rebooting the master. =
The server is usually rebooted at least once a week.<BR><BR>The master =
server was rebuilt (OS and NBU) mid January, and we upgraded to 4.5 FP5 in =
March. I have noticed this problem has happened at least two other times =
since we have upgraded NBU. I am going to log a call with Veritas support, =
but wanted to see if anyone else had experienced any issues similar to =
this.<BR><BR>Environment:<BR>4.5 FP5 Master/Media<BR>Clients are mix of =
4.5 FP5 and 3.4.1<BR><BR>1 Master: Win2k SP4; 4.5 FP5<BR>13 Media: Win2k =
SP4; 4.5 FP5<BR>200+ clients: Win2k SP4/NT4 SP6; 4.5 FP5/3.4.1_3<BR><BR>We =
usually reboot the server at least once a week for varying reasons, so I =
do not believe it's the normal 'reboot cause it's Windows' reason.<BR><BR>R=
usty Major, MCSA, MCSE<BR>Information Services<BR>Texas Children's =
__________<BR>Veritas-bu maillist&nbsp; -&nbsp; Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng DOT
aubu=
rn.edu<BR><A href=3D"http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas=