Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] User directed raw partition backups

2004-04-28 12:10:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] User directed raw partition backups
From: jack.l.forester AT lmco DOT com (Jack L. Forester)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:10:05 -0400
I have a user who wants to back up some test databases directly from the
raw partitions.  From reading the manual(s), it appears that raw
partition backups have to be done using a backup type of 'full backup'
in the schedule.

However, these backups will not be run on a regular schedule (on demand
only), and access to the master server is not allowed for the user (so
no manual backup from the GUI or bpbackup -i from the command line).
The backup must be initiated from the client.  Has anyone ever done a
user-initiated from the client raw partition backup?

Personally, I'd prefer that they just use RMAN, but we have some
stubborn people who will gladly point out that "Omniback could do it for
us".  We're migrating to a common hardware and software platform for our
site-wide backups, and there's some resistance to the switch.
--
Jack L. Forester, Jr.
UNIX Systems Administrator, Stf