Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] how to restore the root filesystem to an alternate drive

2004-04-26 18:27:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] how to restore the root filesystem to an alternate drive
From: rdwalkup AT ti DOT com (Ronald D. Walkup)
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:27:34 -0500
I am  new to netbackup and was hoping to restore a full backup
of my boot drive to an alternate drive that is mounted under
/mnt. Hopefully, this is the correct list to send this to.

I am running a solaris 8 an running version NetBackup-Solaris2.6 4.5FP_4.
the current boot drive may be corrupted. we need to be able to
copy an old backup of the boot drive to an alternate drive.

when I attempt to restore slice 0 of my root drive
using the command line interface (/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bp)
to /tmp/mnt I get the following error:

16:55:43 (75379.001) Changed /etc/rc3.d/S15nfs.server to /tmp/mnt/S15nfs.server
16:55:43 (75379.001) Could not link /tmp/rwalkup/S15nfs.server ->
/etc/init.d/nfs.server. Errno = 18: Cross-device link

I get this on all the hard linked files.

is there the options I am using when prompted by bp:

overwrite if file(s) exist? (y/n) (n):
Use progress log? (y/n) (y):
Enter Progress File Path:  (/u1/home/rwalkup/bplog.rest.005)

diagnostic output will be logged to /u1/home/rwalkup/bplog.rest.005

Use destination path substitution? (y/n) (y):
Rename hard links relative to the destination path? (y/n) (y):
Rename soft links relative to the destination path? (y/n) (y):

Initiating Restore . . .

The restore was successfully initiated.

Press any key to continue

is there any reason I can't use a full backup to restore
to an alternate drive?

any ideas on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and Regards,

Ron Walkup