Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How to disable a client from a policy

2004-04-26 14:00:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How to disable a client from a policy
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:00:00 -0500
--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6

* August.Piazza AT frx DOT com <August.Piazza AT frx DOT com> [2004-04-26
13:33]:
> If a client is removed from a policy are all the clients catalog entries
> removed as well? If that is the case can a client be temporally disabled
> from a policy ?
> thanks..............

yes and no. There is no way to easily suspend a single client from a
backup policy ( I REALLY wish there was). If you want the policy to
still run but not include that client, you have to remove it from the
policy. However, you do NOT lose information about backups that have
already taken place, so restores are still possible. What you DO lose is
the baseline full that your incrementals will be based on once  you put
the client back into the policy, so you will likely need to manually run
a full the first time you put it back in the policy.

Another option, if you can deal with failures showing up, is to disable
the services on the client so that backup attempts will be refused (turn
off the service in Windows, comment out services from inetd in UNIX,
etc).

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com