Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] L9 autoloader broken

2004-04-23 15:51:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] L9 autoloader broken
From: cjpelton AT ucdavis DOT edu (Chris Pelton)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:51:55 -0700
  Hi All,

This isn't really a Netbackup issue per se, but it does keep Netbackup
from working at all. We have a Sun L9 tape autoloader which has had its
DLT drive die, I believe. I've gone through all of the diagnostics in
the manual and can't seem to revive it. The problem is that the client
doesn't have any support for this device, and Sun EOL'd it awhile back.
So, from what I can see there are a few different paths to follow, and
I'm not sure which would be the best.

1 Try and replace the DLT drive within the L9
       This would be the easiest, but from my research the drive itself
is almost as expensive as the complete autoloader - or a new one - and
I'm not sure its smart to cobble together unsupported equipment.

2 Upgrade to a different autoloader
       If so, what media type? And what do we do with the existing
backup images that are on media we can't read? Should we buy a single
DLT8000 drive?

3 Look for completely different backup solution

Any suggestions or experience with this device would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris