Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Stopping ltid

2004-04-21 09:57:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Stopping ltid
From: dlogcher AT MIT DOT EDU (Dan Logcher)
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:57:07 -0400
Ed.Toner AT eu.nabgroup DOT com wrote:

> We had something similar but it was avrd that was hung up. stopltid asks
> ltid to stop which in turns waits for it's children to stop. avrd and acsd
> (if you use acsd) can get "stuck".
>
> If you have a network problem acsd can hang and if you have a drive problem
> (particularly fibre channel drives) then avrd can get stuck. We would end
> up resetting the hung tape drive which allowed avrd to go which in turn
> released ltid.

This is exactally what happens here.  The Fibre channel gets hung, and we
cannot dismount the tape.  You can't kill ltid, because avrd is still trying
to talk to the drive.  If you kill -9 and restart, avrd hangs trying to
verify the drives exist and it never changes them from AVR to ACS status..

I have to power cycle the drives to clear the problem.  I have noted the
fibre channel is hung from the switch side (I get amber light on the switch).

--
Dan