Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] WARNING: NetBackup 5.0 Restores

2004-04-16 03:06:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] WARNING: NetBackup 5.0 Restores
From: WTSmith AT maine DOT edu (Wayne T. Smith)
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 03:06:54 -0400
Nash, Ebon wrote, in part:

>We have been having problems restoring an Exchange image created with NB 4.5
>after upgrading to NB 5.0.  After a week of troubleshooting Veritas came
>back and said that there is a known problem restoring Exchange images

What bugs me is that "after a week of troubleshooting Veritas came back
and said that there is a known problem..." has struck me, too.  Maybe
Veritas should make known problems KNOWN!

>created on a NetBackup 4.5 system, after upgrading to 5.0.
>
>After further analysis, they stated that there is an issue performing
>restores of Exchange images larger that 2GB if they were created in NB 4.5.
>
>Finally, they said you can't restore any image over 2GB if it was created in
>4.5 and you are currently running 5.0.  They stated the work around is to
>expire the image, import it into 5.0 and then perform the restore.  The fix
>is reportedly due in 3 weeks when the release MP2.
>
>I don't know about you guys, but I am about to blow a gasket.  This release

I don't see why a single problem, for which you are given a workaround,
is cause for a blown gasket, let alone a recommendation to stay away
from 5.0.

Also, since MP1 is just out, I wouldn't expect MP2 for another 3 months,
not 3 weeks.

>of 5.0 should never have occured.  It is riddled with bugs and has been a
>nightmare for me.  I am going to let everyone at Veritas know how I feel,
>and if any of you feel the same way I hope you let them know also.  For
>those of you thinking about upgrading to 5.0, DON'T DO IT.  Even after
>installing MP1 there still are critical issues that have not been addressed.

In my limited experience, Veritas isn't any different from most
companies ... they're marketing driven.  They're trying to attract new
customers, and new features and press announcements help that effort.

If quality of product or service aren't appropriate, maybe customers
need to work with Veritas to correct the situation?  Maybe Vision would
be a good place to start?  Complex software running on such a variety of
platforms and circumstances will always have problems ... but are the
appropriate problems being caught or avoided early enough? (I don't know!).

cheers, wayne