Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Fully Qualified Domain Names

2004-04-15 01:08:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Fully Qualified Domain Names
From: David Rock <dave-bu AT graniteweb DOT com> (David Rock)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 00:08:17 -0500
--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

* steven_w_miller AT non.agilent DOT com <steven_w_miller AT non.agilent DOT
com> [2004-0=
4-13 12:26]:
> Has anyone seen issues with using shortnames and administering NBU 4.5
> or 5.0.. I remember awhile back that Veritas told me to use fully
> qualified names, but can't remember the exact reasons. I've seen some
> wierd problems with the Java GUI on 5.0 when I didn't use fully
> qualified names, such as the device monitor not updating properly.
> This seems to only be an issue with the Java GUI and didn't see the
> same issues with the Windows Admin Console.

FQDN is VERY important in our environment. We are backing up about 12
different customers, and It's not uncommon for multiple customers to
have the same short names for their systems (sql001, exchange, etc.) It
makes it a pain to type in the FQDN at the commandline, but it's worth
it in the long run.

--=20
David Rock
david AT graniteweb DOT com